1. Valle de Guadalupe, Mexico
- Location: Valle de Guadalupe
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: the closest city, Ensenada, is 40 minutes by car
- Why It’s Special: Valle de Guadalupe is filled with endless wineries to tour, amazing food, and a culture built around the love of wine and providing space for people to enjoy it.
- Price of the Tour: $39 per adult
- Can You Buy Wine?: Of course! Wine is available for tasting and purchasing.
- Cities of Mexico – a Visit to the Birthplace of Frida Kahlo
Baja California is a wonderful destination for tourists of all kinds, but wine enjoyers can benefit from a trip to Valle de Guadalupe, a town known for its wine. Valle de Guadalupe is home to many wineries and vineyards worth noting, but among them, Xecue Vinicola is the one you should visit.
Xecue Vinicola specializes in artisanal wine and was founded by a husband-wife duo who started by producing wine to taste at home in 1999. Over the years, Alberta and Jose Luis gained funding for their field and winery, and Xecue Vinicola opened in 2012.
Those with a taste for adventure outside of wine tasting can enjoy ATV off-roading adventures or local shopping or visit the nearby city of Ensenada for more to do!
Book a hotel in Valle de Guadalupe
2. Stellenbocsh, South Africa
- Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Stellenbosch is a 55-minute drive from Cape Town, South Africa
- Why It’s Special: Delaire Graff Estate is a one-stop shop for an amazing wine vacation.
- Price of the Tour: First-come, first-serve wine tasting is available.
- Can You Buy Wine?: Yes! Wine is available for tasting and purchase. Online purchases are also available.
- Cape Town and Its Suburbs: Hedonism Is Part of the Plan
Looking for a winery to visit that is all-inclusive? If so, Delaire Graff Estate in South Africa is the winery for you. Deemed one of the world’s best wineries, Delaire Graff Estate features a hotel, luxury restaurant, spa, pool, and more, so that you can make the most out of your vacation. There is even an art museum on the property!
Delaire Graff Estate is lovely in the spring, with beautiful gardens alongside the vineyard to explore, take pictures, and escape the stress of work and daily life. However, if you’d like to do more on your vacation, nearby Cape Town is full of culture, museums, sports, nightlife, and restaurants.
3. Rioja, Spain
- Location: Rioja, Spain
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Rioja is connected to Bilbao, as well as Barcelona and Madrid. Train and bus are the best options for travel to this region.
- Why It’s Special: Deeply rooted history served with gorgeous modern architecture and a hotel you can stay at!
- Price of the Tour: 27 Euros per person
- Can You Buy Wine?: Wine is available for purchase.
- What to See in Malaga, Spain
Founded in 1858, Bodegas de los Herederos del Marques de Riscal is a historic winery with a twist. Multiple structures exist on the property, including the original winery from the 1800s and a modern hotel that is somewhat of an architectural marvel.
Bodegas de los Herederos del Marques de Riscal pairs rich history with decadent wines and beautiful weather with stunning views, and is a must-see for any wine lover. In addition, Rioja is a wine region in Spain, allowing opportunities for visiting other vineyards and exploring the natural beauty of Spain. You won’t regret making your fall wine vacation a trip to Rioja!
4. Colchagua Valley, Chile
- Location: Colchagua Valley, Chile
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Colchagua Valley is a 10-minute drive from Santa Cruz, Chile
- Why It’s Special: Montes is a famous Chilean vineyard built to bring luxury products to Chile.
- Price of the Tour: CLP 800
- Can You Buy Wine?: Yes, you can! Tastings are available as well.
A fall vacation to Chile offers stunning Southern Hemisphere springtime, where you can enjoy quality wine. Of the wineries in Chile, Montes is the one you should visit.
Montes won the World’s Best Vineyards award for Best Vineyard in South America 2022. Enjoy fine cuisine at Montes’ onsite restaurant, Fuegos de Apalta, run by a world-renowned chef. Montes began in 1987 and is the product of four partners working alongside one another to form a winery that is known as the pride of Chilean wine.
In nearby Santa Cruz, you may find museums, tours, and many other wineries which you can tour.
5. Sonoma Valley, California, United States
- Location: Healdsburg, CA
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Healdsburg is a 15-minute drive from Santa Rosa, California, and an hour from San Francisco, California.
- Why It’s Special: Jordan Vineyard & Winery is a French-inspired winery in the heart of California.
- Price of the Tour: $80 per person
- Can You Buy Wine?: Absolutely! Wine is available for purchase and tasting.
- Beautiful Islands in California to Visit on Your Vacation
The winner of the World’s Best Vineyards, Best Vineyard in North America 2023, Jordan Vineyard & Winery is an obvious choice to visit in Sonoma Valley. Founded in the 1970s, Jordan Vineyard’s estate includes magnificent grounds perfect for touring, exploring, and enjoying. The estate encompasses 1,200 acres of Californian land in the heart of the Sonoma Valley.
In the nearby cities of Santa Rosa and San Francisco, nightlife, sports, concerts, and more can be found to combine a trip to wine country with a city vacation.
6. Walker Bay, South Africa
- Location: Walker Bay, South Africa
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Walker Bay is a two-hour drive from Cape Town, South Africa.
- Why It’s Special: Creation is a vineyard near the ocean with unique views.
- Price of the Tour: Price is per wine tasted.
- Can You Buy Wine?: Yes! You may purchase wine for tasting or bottles.
A trip to South Africa is incomplete without gorgeous views of the water. By visiting Walker Bay, you can enjoy white sand beaches, world-renowned nature reserves, and ocean activities like sailing, kayaking, and swimming to your heart’s content. Walker Bay is also known for its wine, notably a vineyard called Creation.
Creation won the World’s Best Vineyards, Best Vineyard in Africa award for 2023. The winery offers various experiences, including wine tastings, walks, delicious food and wine pairings, and scenic views.
7. Wachau, Austria
- Location: Wachau, Austria
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Wachau is an hour’s drive to Vienna, Austria.
- Why It’s Special: Wachau is an impressive collective of wine experts and a region recognized as being globally important.
- Price of the Tour: 18 Euros per person
- Can You Buy Wine?: Yes! Wine can be purchased and tasted at the estate.
A fall trip to Austria is well-known to be stunning, with autumn colors on full display throughout October and November. You can view lovely red and orange leaves in the Austrian countryside while on your way to Domane Wachau, one of the best wineries in the country.
Near the Danube River, Domane Wachau has a reputation for existing in one of the UNESCO World Heritage locations (Wachau, Austria) due to its impressive history and geographical importance. The estate’s vineyards are managed by several families who collectively contribute to Domane Wachau’s cellar and its success.
Wachau is a great place to enjoy the beauty of fall, and with Vienna nearby, the rest of Austrian culture, music, nightlife, and more.
8. McLaren Vale, South Australia, Australia
- Location: McLaren Vale, Australia
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: 45 minutes from Adelaide, Australia
- Why It’s Special: d’Arenberg is stunning to view with unique and innovative architecture.
- Price of the Tour: $20 per person
- Can You Buy Wine?: Absolutely! d’Arenberg wine is available for purchase.
Fancy a fall trip to Australia? While you may visit in the Australian spring, the views will still be immaculate, and your trip will benefit from cooler temperatures. Of the great wineries in Australia, d’Arenberg stands out among the rest.
d’Arenberg is a sight to behold. Since 1912, d’Arenberg has paved the way in McLaren Vale for local Australian wineries and has since modernized to include a magnificent structure known as the d’Arenberg Cube. The d’Arenberg Cube features private tastings, wine blending classes, private dining experiences, and more. You can even book an on-site helicopter tour to get a bird’s eye view of the grounds!
9. Bordeaux, France
- Location: Near Daubos, France
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: The closest city of Bordeaux is a 50-minute drive.
- Why It’s Special: Chateau Pichon Baron is a historical vineyard with a rich past, gorgeous views, and a personalized experience.
- Price of the Tour: Visits are individualized and by reservation only.
- Can You Buy Wine?: Yes! Wine is available for purchase and tasting.
- What to See in France Outside Paris
The region of Bordeaux is known for its high standard of wines. There are many vineyards to enjoy near the city, but one, in particular, stands out from the rest. Chateau Pichon Baron is a historic vineyard established in 1855. Upon visiting, you will notice that the vineyard is actually on the grounds of a 19th-century castle. All tours at Chateau Pichon Baron are individualized experiences, and travelers remark that the tasting is one of the best they’ve ever experienced.
10. Willamette, Oregon, United States
- Location: Amity, Oregon
- How to Reach from the Nearest City: Amity is a 20-minute drive to Salem, OR, and a 55-minute drive to Portland, OR
- Why It’s Special: Brooks Estate has a wonderful story, a great heart, and stunning grounds to explore.
- Price of the Tour: $65 per person
- Can You Buy Wine?: Of course! Wine can be tasted and purchased on-site.
A trip to the magnificent state of Oregon in autumn is a treat in itself. So, why not jazz it up with a trip to Portland’s best winery?
Brooks Wine is a family-owned estate in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, founded in 1998 by Jimi Brooks. He passed at a young age in 2004, just five years after the creation of his winery, leaving the estate to his young son, Pascal. Now an adult, Pascal runs Brooks Wine alongside his aunt and his father’s friend, who kept Brooks Wine alive in the absence of Jimi.
Their estate experience tour includes an ATV ride, a wine tasting, a cheese and charcuterie board, and a detailed history of Brooks Estate, its vines, and the current vintage.
Whether your travels take you to Europe, Africa, Australia, the United States, or Latin America, the wine will be delicious and plentiful. So, where will you choose to travel for your fall wine vacation? To visit any of these destinations and more, you can search for deals on accommodations with ZenHotels.
ZenHotels is a great way to find quality accommodations to have the wine-themed or any other vacation of your dreams.